A blog about miniatures, wargaming, and the people driven to ruin by them....

Sunday, May 3, 2020

WWII Naval: Mediterranean Axis Bombers 1/600 Tumbling Dice

Hello.

So, to go with my 1/3000 fleets, I also have 1/600 aircraft, which can be used both for General Quarters, and for Check Your 6!

Now, this is a new thing for me, painting 1/600 aircraft, and I will need to practice a bit to get better.

I decided to start with 3x German Ju-86 because they are relatively large miniatures (easier to handle when painting) and also because they are not the most important aircraft I have in my inventory.  I am experimenting with a basing system which I have not perfected, but the bases you see are not complete(they would be woefully unstable in a game as shown).  I don't think I will keep trying for the Baltic Cross emblem, its just too hard, and will be even harder on the Bf 109s I have in the queue.

Then, I decided to work on something vastly more important for the Mediterranean.... SM.79s, a workhorse for the Italians.  While, like many other early WWII designs, the SM.79 was considered "obsolete" it performed very well in its many roles, including torpedo bomber.  I have 3 more SM.79s to paint, which would give me 6 total.



You may notice Swordfish, CR.42s, Bf109s, Spitfires, Ju-88s, and the other SM.79s in the background. 

I don't think I am 100% on my markings, and the painting is far from perfect, but I think these will serve well enough for my uses.

Thanks

4 comments:

  1. Nice looking paint jobs. I've found the struggle for good stands is huge. I went with lego like yourself (although I ended up with opaque white large discs on the bottom for stability). I'm not entirely happy with adding/subtracting pegs and counting for height selection.
    I have some jet planes for cy6 so they are longer and heavier, and used a ball bearing which was a bit finicky. https://miniatureinsurrection.blogspot.com/search/label/CY6

    I keep coming back to this pic off of tmp which I might spring for from litko. http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=470765

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are a sharp looking option, I am kind of a cheap skate so like to make things. Does not always turn out though, ha ha.

      Delete
  2. You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I in finding this matter to be really something which I think I'd by no means understand. It seems too complicated and very extensive for me. national archives civil war

    ReplyDelete