A blog about miniatures, wargaming, and the people driven to ruin by them....

Sunday, May 3, 2020

WWII Naval: German Air Power over the Mediterranean and North Africa

Howdie.

Unusual for me, to have two posts in the same day.  Just was trying to tinker around while cooking dinner, found out that the fighters paint up pretty quick... so thought maybe I can just finish all of the Germans I have, get them out of the way, as they are only here to support the Italians anyway.

So...

Again, I am not 100% on my markings, and I continue to struggle with the Balkan Cross.  I chose to only put one on each wing top, just not worth the effort for me to try to put more on.

What I have are 6x Bf 109Es, painted in two different schemes, one for over Malta and one for over North Africa.  Figured that would give me some nice variety for CY6! games, and they still work together for use in General Quarters.  Also have 3x Ju-88s, all in the same scheme from Sicily.  Included in the shot are the same 3x Ju-86s from the earlier post.  I should have also ordered Ju-87s, and if I ever do another purchase, I will likely add those.... but this is basically it for me for the Germans.

Now what I also did was move along a bit on the bases.  These are cheap self-made options, 1"x1" squares with a heavy washer on the bottom, some painted quick and easy desert, some painted quick and easy water.  Figure if I have both, I can cover most of my options.  I am using Lego's, little base glued to the square, then use of 2x transparent blue and / or 2x clear column pieces to designate a height level in CY6!  Cheap enough (even the Legos, when I bought them last year, were not that expensive), heavy on the bottom for stability.... just need to find a speed recording option.



So there you go, a nice little bunch of air craft to harass the Royal Navy and pals.  Or eventually turn on the Italians a little bit later.

Overall, I found these to be easier to paint than I thought, and with the practice on the Germans, I feel a little better about doing a decent job for the Italians and British.

Thanks.

1 comment:

  1. Its like you read my mind! You appear to know a lot about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with some pics to drive the message home a little bit, but instead of that, this is wonderful blog. An excellent read. I'll definitely be back. national archives civil war records

    ReplyDelete