A blog about miniatures, wargaming, and the people driven to ruin by them....

Friday, May 8, 2020

WWII Naval: Italians over the Med 1/600 Tumbling Dice

Hello.

So here is part of my ongoing WWII Mediterranean Naval project, this time showing the complete Italian aircraft that I have so far.  I realize I would like to make an additional order, so there will be more Italians, Germans... and there are plenty of British here that I am still working on.

Another member of our club, Ed, has 1/600 aircraft for this theater, and we have agreed to pool things like Swordfish and Gladiators when needed for GQ games that require more than either of us have individually.  But still, its nice to have enough of my own set for running CY6! games, or for smaller air involvements in GQ.

You will have seen some of the SM.79s already, but there are also 3 more SM.79,  4x CR.42 Falco and 6x MC202 Folgore.  What I think I will add are MC200 Saetta, Ro43 and Cant Z.501.... but for now....

I painted each type with 2 slightly varying patterns, the Italians had plenty of camo designs for many of their aircraft.  As a side opinion, they produced some fine aircraft... like everyone else, they have some miserable designs too, but their best work was competitive with their opponents.

For the MC202 I used the fasces symbol without white background, as this seemed to be how they are usually represented.  Now one problem is that there are a lot of aircraft that look similar at this scale, so I am trying to become an expert on wing shape and length.  The MC202 has shorter wings than the Spitfire and the larger Hurricane, and also a shape distinctive from either of the others.... which is good, because a lot of high performance WWII fighters seem to have a similar fuselage or body design.

OK, now to finish my British aircraft, then look to order the things I would like to add.



No comments:

Post a Comment