A blog about miniatures, wargaming, and the people driven to ruin by them....

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Horror: Von Leech and Harrington Families

Howdie.

I've trying to keep at my Horror projects, specifically the iconic creatures of the night that haunt most places of the world.  So I took a look at the von Leech family and their distant cousins the Harringtons.

The von Leeches enjoy nightime walks, late snacks, and gloomy graveyards.  They are definitely not into  beaches, pina coladas, or walking in the rain.



All of these miniatures are from West Wind, Vampire Wars.  The child vampires are from the Kindernacht pack, and are suitably creepy.  OK, I'll be honest... I don't think these are the most precise sculpts on the market, BUT, I also think that there is a great depth of character in these miniatures.  That's why I bought them instead of any of those other (many, many) vampire miniatures on the market.

Herr von Leech and Frau von Leech (in the red dress), look like they are ready to tear into your throat.  The kinder are, as I said, suitably creepy, especially little Elise floating around on toe tip.  Frau von Leech's cousin Annette "The Frizz" Blankowsky looks like an insane marionette.  All in all, they turned out very nice.  I went with a simple, fast paint job for each.  Nothing too fancy, but very servicable.  They all have blank white eyes, makes them a little more unsettling.  I wish that Herr von Leech didn't have the sword and dagger... its meant to be useful in the V. Wars system, I guess, but for me, I'd prefer they just use fangs and talons.

The Harringtons also enjoy nighttime walks (especially by moonlight), late snacks, and gloomy graveyards.  Walking in the rain is no problem.  Beaches are ok, but they have been a little busy lately, munching on folks in the neighborhood...







These are from the Blue Moon set, Howling Good Time.  What is interesting is that each werewolf is different from the rest... one is in near wolf form, one is actually relatively calm looking, another is angry and menacing, but that big Loup Garou looking mother in the middle is absolutely horrific.  These painted up very quickly, I made sure to put some un-wolf like colors on each miniature, representing human hair color, or pinkish skin, whatever.  Once again, fast and simple, but I like how they turned out.

The big guy gets a choice of three heads...so I have two left over to use as scenics or bitz.

I did not finish basing any of these, as I am working on some monster hunters right now, and intend on  finishing all of that basing together at one time.


More to come, thanks for looking.

Chalfant






No comments:

Post a Comment