Whoa son, has it been a busy month. I have a number of catch up posts, and will be starting with my progress on the Iran Iraq War project. Totally intimidated by the sheer volume of Iraqi infantry I need to paint up, I admittedly took the coward's path and started with the vehicles.
This was partly due to the fact that I have several diecast models, already fully painted and ready to go... and partly due to the fact that I like the multipurpose nature of my chosen vehicles and paint scheme. For the majority of these, I have kept with a sand and green paint pattern that shows up on vehicles used by a number of different nations. Specifically, I want most of these to also be usable by my 20mm 1980's era Soviets for fighting in Afghanistan.
If I ever want to get the chance to throw these on the table in a Seek Out, Close With, and Destroy game, I need to get a move on.... here is the entire Iraqi armor force, plus 3 uparmored Soviet BMP-2s that I painted at the same time, in the same paint pattern. The BMP-2s are from Liberation, they are great models, BUT, I regret purchasing them as they are really only appropriate for use in Afghanistan. I should have bought 3 standard BMP-2s instead. Still, they are a useful addition to my Soviet forces. Though this kind of thinking might seem like heresy to some, its a great way for a gamer on a limited budget to get the most out of his dollar (or euro or yen...). So my Falklands British fight my 80's Soviets which fight my Mujahideen... and these vehicles can show up in more than one theater. Pragmatic, maybe. Cheap, definitely.
For the base coat, I used a desert yellow designed for hobby use. The problem is that it is indeed yellow, I should have more of a whitish-tan. Some extra paint applied improved the look, but its probably still too yellow. They turned out well enough for the likes of me.
This next image shows the diecast component, including 3 T-55s from Hobbymaster, painted for Iraqi service already. I may decide to paint over the Iraqi markings to make them more general purpose. Also included are 4 T-72s from Forces of Valor, also painted for Iraqi service. I did repaint one, with tan and green, which helps tie the group into the rest of the vehicles, and also gives me a vehicle to nominate for command function. These T-72 models are really for later wars against American led coalitions, but they should do fine here in the 1980's. In the war against Iran, the T-72s were formidable tanks, and the Iranians had difficulty fighting them.
To complete the lot are 2 T-62s, from Combat Ready, and my armored transports, 3 BMP-1s. These two groups are very useful, and can show up in a number of places as needed... I think that I will need another group of transports eventually. Maybe something specific to the Iraqis.
Any of these vehicles could show up in Iranian hands too, as captures... effectively doubling my Iranian vehicle pool. The most likely candidates would be the T-55s and BMP-1s, I think the T-72s would be the least likely to be employed as captures.
Whew! One step closer to completion. Thanks for viewing... and look for some quick follow up entries on my Soviets.